Courtesy of Little Northern Bakehouse
Who says samosas can’t be gluten-free? All the delicious ingredients of a traditional samosa have hopped out of their pocket and come together as an amazing gluten-free burger. Flavors of turmeric, soft potato, peas, carrots, and cilantro hit your curry craving hard, while a plant-based turmeric yogurt keeps a great balance between spicy and cool.
For the Samosa Patties
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 in piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 3 large yellow potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, peeled, boiled, and drained
- 1 carrot, peeled, inely chopped, boiled, and drained
- 1/4 c frozen peas, thawed, and drained
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Turmeric Yogurt
- 1/2 c unsweetened plant-based yogurt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 6 Little Northern Bakehouse hamburger buns
- 1 tsp oil
- 4 leaves green lettuce
- 4 slices tomato
- 1/2 c finely shredded purple cabbage
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Make the patties. In a large pan, sauté the onion and pepper in oil until softened, approximately five minutes.
Add garlic, ginger, and spices and continue cooking two minutes. Set aside.
In a large bowl, roughly mash the cooled potatoes. Add carrots and onion mixture and continue mashing, leaving a bit of texture. Add the peas, bread crumbs, cilantro, salt, and pepper and gently toss to combine.
Divide the mixture into six equal balls and form into patties.
Place them on a parchment covered cookie sheet and bake until the bottom side is golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.
Gently flip and continue cooking until the second side is golden brown, an additional 15 minutes.
Make the turmeric yogurt sauce. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
To serve, oil the buns and place them in the oven until warmed through, approximately five minutes.
Place patties on buns, top with vegetables and yogurt sauce. Serve immediately.