- 14 oz. chickpeas canned, rinsed
- 2 c. frozen broad beans thawed, shelled
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 c. pecans toasted, plus one cup extra
- 1 c. firmly packed flat-lead parsley plus 1/3 cup, coarsely chopped, extra
- 3 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp. plain flour
- 1/2 c. dried packaged breadcrumbs
- 1 loaf Lebanese bread
- 3/4 c. olive oil
- 2 tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 2 heads baby romaine lettuce cut into wedges
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers halved lengthwise, thickly sliced
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. mint leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
- Lemon wedges to serve
Place chickpeas, broad beans, half the garlic, the pecans, parsley, cumin, flour, and breadcrumbs in the bowl of a food processor; process until combined. Shape into 12 patties. Place on an oven tray.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 365 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the bread on an oven tray. Bake, turning halfway through cooking, for five minutes or until toasted. Cool slightly. Break into pieces. Set aside.
Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large frying pan over moderate heat. Cook falafels for three minutes each side or until golden. Drain on paper towel.
Combine toast pieces, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, onion, mint, extra parsley, and extra pecans in a large bowl. Whisk remaining 1/2 cup of oil, juice, and remaining garlic in a bowl. Add the oil mixture to the bread mixture, toss to combine. Serve salad with falafels and lemon wedges.
For the entire recipe: Calories: 889 Protein: 25 grams Fat: 63 grams (four grams saturated) Carbohydrates: 48 grams Fiber: 20 grams