Our Mexican Beef and Quinoa Dinner Bowl is a quick and easy weeknight dinner meal — or bring this Mexican quinoa recipe to any summer picnic.
- 1 1/2 lb. rump steak trimmed
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Mexican spice mix
- 7 oz. tri-colored quinoa
- 14 oz. black beans rinsed, drained
- 2 corn cobs husks, silks removed
- 1/2 small pineapple peeled, 1/3-inch-thick slices
- Finely grated zest, juice one lime
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro plus extra to serve
- 2 long red chilis seeded, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 oz. cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado seeded, quartered
- Lime wedges, hot sauce, grilled tortillas to serve
Rub steak with combined two tablespoons oil and spice mix until coated. Transfer to a plate, cover, and chill until required.
Prepare quinoa following packet instructions. Mix with beans and remaining oil. Season. Set aside.
Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill pan on high. Lightly spray corn cobs and pineapple slices with oil. Grill corn cobs 10 to 12 minutes, turning, and pineapple slices one to two minutes until tender and grill marks appear. Halve pineapple.
Slice corn kernels from cob and transfer to a bowl with lime juice, zest, cilantro, and chili. Season. Set aside.
On same grill plate, cook steaks two minutes each side until cooked to taste. Rest loosely covered with foil five minutes. Slice thickly.
Serve steak on a bed of quinoa mixture, topped with corn salsa, pineapple, tomatoes, avocado, and extra cilantro. Accompany with lime wedges, hot sauce, and grilled tortillas.