Zesty lemon and nutty pesto melt into a luscious sauce that pairs perfectly with the hint of smokiness from the ham.
- 8 oz. fusilli pasta
- 8 oz. thin asparagus trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. deli-sliced ham cut into 1" pieces
- 1 large tomato seeded and cut into 1" chunks
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp pesto sauce
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese shavings
- 1/4 c. fresh basil leaves
Cook pasta according to package directions, adding asparagus during last 3 min. of cooking; drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
Heat oil in same pot over medium heat. Add ham; cook, stirring, 2–3 min., until lightly browned. Add tomato; cook, stirring, 2–3 min., until softened. Add pasta mixture, 1/4 cup pesto, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper and reserved cooking water. Cook, stirring, 1 min. Remove from heat; stir in 1 Tbsp. lemon juice and 1 tsp. zest, then avocado. Transfer to serving platter; dollop remaining pesto on top. Serve topped with Parmesan and basil.
This recipe originally appeared in our print magazine.