I hate bugs, you hate bugs, we all hate bugs! So we can definitely relate to one Kansas woman who tried to kill a bug but accidentally burned down her apartment.
Monique Quarles of Topeka, KS, went to work when she saw a bug underneath her mattress. According to the Topeka Capital-Journal, Quarles placed the bug in her hand and lit it on fire with a "flip-style lighter." Though her methods were unorthodox to say the least, Quarles is one brave woman. Trying to light a moving bug while it's on your hand? Crazy!
Quarles and her daughter, Ausha Scott, checked under the bed again to see if there were anymore bugs. They spotted a medium-sized crawler and Quarles again grabbed the bug and put in in her hand. But this time, her lighter possibly malfunctioned and sparks landed on the box spring, igniting the mattress.
“The sparks just started flying on it and inside of it,” she told the Capital-Journal.
Quarles and her daughter tried to put out the fire, but after running to the kitchen for water, Quarles was "really seeing fire" in the bedroom, so she advised her daughter to call 911 and evacuate the building with her 2-year-old daughter, Avionna Scott-Quarles. As she fled, Quarles alerted her neighbors of the fire.
Firefighters arrived and contained the fire to Quarles' apartment. One person was sent to the hospital for smoke inhalation, but no other injuries were reported. The cause of the fire on the official report is listed as “occupant trying to kill a bug with a lighter.” Overall, Quarles' DIY methods created a blaze that resulted in $140,000 of damage — yikes!
We're glad to hear that everyone is fine, but Quarles' judgment has us scratching our heads. A lighter? Next time we'll stick to using the bottom of our shoe!
h/t The Cut
Want to keep laughing? Check out these hilarious Betty White quotes.