Food to Love
Instead of grilling up plain old zucchini, use the summer squash in a fun new way by shredding and blending it together with cheese, herbs, and just the right amount of seasoning for a burger pattie that doesn't require meat to make your taste buds sing. Zucchini is the perfect seasonal veggie to add into any summer dish, as it's hydrating and packed with nutrients. Served with tomato relish and beetroot, this tasty treat utilizes the best that the summer has to offer. To make our Vegetarian Zucchini Burger with Beetroot and Tomato Relish, follow the recipe below.
- 2 zucchini, grated coarsely
- 1/3 cup packaged bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- 1 egg white, beaten lightly
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 4 green oak leaf lettuce leaves
- 1 fresh beetroot, peeled, grated coarsely
- 2 Tbsp. tomato relish
- 2 hamburger buns, split, toasted
- Place shredded zucchini in a strainer and squeeze excess water from zucchini. Combine zucchini, bread crumbs, cheese, green onion, egg white, and parsley in a medium bowl, and season. Shape mixture into two patties.
- Spray medium frying pan with cooking oil. Cook yellow onion, stirring, about 10 minutes or until browned lightly. Remove from pan.
- Cook patties in same pan until both sides are browned and heated through.
- Sandwich the lettuce, patties, onion, beetroot, and relish between the bun halves.
Use disposable gloves when handling beetroot to stop it from staining your hands. If you plan on taking this to work, pack patties, veggies, bun, and relish separately, and reheat the patties in a microwave on high for about one and a half minutes before assembling.
This recipe originally appeared on our sister site, Food to Love.