Following Queen Elizabeth II’s death on Thursday, September 8, it seemed like the whole world came together in mourning alongside the royal family. In a particularly personal statement released today, September 12, Prince Harry honored his grandmother (whom he affectionately called “Granny”) and her lasting legacy. Further cementing the depth of their grief, Prince William and Prince Harry, along with their wives, made their first public appearance together in a long time for an impromptu walkabout in Windsor, during which they greeted crowds of fellow mourners.
The large number of those grieving Elizabeth’s loss stands as a testament to the impact she has made on so many. Still, the Queen was not only a revered monarch — she was also a beloved mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother, as was made clear by Prince Harry’s heartwarming statement. Read some of our favorite quotes from his memorial below.
1. “Her unwavering grace and dignity remained true throughout her life and now her everlasting legacy.”
Queen Elizabeth’s distinct personality made her memorable and lovable to not just her own family, but the entire world.
2. “Let us echo the words she spoke after the passing of her husband, Prince Philip, words which can bring comfort to all of us now: ‘Life, of course, consists of final partings as well as first meetings.’”
Prince Harry reminds us that grieving the loss of a loved one means we have met someone worth missing, with whom we must have shared a lot of love. There is beauty in the sorrow.
3. “Granny, while this final parting brings us great sadness, I am forever grateful for all of our first meetings … [like] the first moment you met my darling wife and hugged your beloved great-grandchildren.”
Because of her wonderfully long life, Queen Elizabeth had the opportunity to see her grandchildren grow into adults who got married and started their own families. What a gift that her great-grandchildren got to spend quality time with her.
4. “You are sorely missed, not just by us, but by the world over. And as it comes to first meetings, we now honour my father in his new role as King Charles III.”
Though he misses his grandmother, Prince Harry takes time to celebrate his father’s transition from prince to king.
5. “Thank you for your commitment to service. Thank you for your sound advice. Thank you for your infectious smile.”
6. “We, too, smile knowing that you and grandpa are reunited now, and both together in peace.”
Her loss is painful, but knowing she is no longer without her beloved husband Philip — who died last year — brings the whole family a great deal of comfort.
Prince Harry’s words are a stirring reminder of Queen Elizabeth’s legacy and the mark she made in both her public-facing and personal life. In the wake of her loss, may her memory inspire us all to remain similarly graceful and dignified.