Every day is a new day, which means every day should be a day to try something new. And you can start small — really small — by spicing up your dinner just a little bit. Want to go even smaller than dinner? Try a new side. Do away with ordinary green bean casserole and mashed potatoes, and instead slide this yummy gourmet side of Brussels sprouts and pancetta onto the evening menu.
Don't underestimate this small adjustment as small on taste — it's bursting with taste. With savory pancetta complementing the crunchiness of the Brussels sprouts, this dish practically screams "Eat Me!" Best of all, this dish takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4.2 oz. flat mild pancetta, halved width-wise and thinly sliced
- 2 single clove garlics, thinly sliced (see note)
- ¼ cup torn sage leaves (loosely packed)
- 20 Brussels sprouts, larger ones halved
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Heat olive oil in a casserole over medium heat, add pancetta and cook until starting to crisp (two to three minutes).
- Add garlic and sage and cook until just starting to color (one minute).
- Add Brussels sprouts, stir, then add chicken stock and butter, and cook over medium heat until soft (14 to 15 minutes).
- Serve immediately as an accompaniment to fish or chicken.
Solo garlic is milder and sweeter than common garlic. However, if it's unavailable, substitute with two cloves of garlic per single clove garlic.
This recipe was created by Gourmet Traveller. For more, check out our sister site, Gourmet Traveller.