If you've ever had a Turkey Day disaster, rest assured you're in good company: Martha Stewart has been there and done that, too. The domestic guru opened up to DailyMail.com about the first Thanksgiving she hosted — which almost didn't happen after she made a critical mistake.
Several years ago, as a young newlywed, Martha decided to be bold and invite the whole family over for their first Thanksgiving all together. The day before, she purchased a 30-pound turkey from a local farm, and immediately got to work.
She spent the whole day baking pies and preparing side dishes for the big feast. So by the time it hit 3 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day, she was exhausted as she stuffed the big bird and struggled putting it in the electric oven by 3:45 a.m. After all, the plan was to host the meal at 1 p.m., just like her mother had always done as a family tradition. But things definitely did not go according to plan.
"I went back to sleep only to awake to a house full of black smoke — the turkey was burning!" Martha said.
When she pulled it out of the oven, she was shocked to see just how charred it was. As it turns out, she had made the big mistake of preheating the over to 500 degrees and then forgot to turn it down to 325.
"I started to cry while we drove back to the turkey farm, where luckily one lone 30-pound turkey lay partially frozen in the walk-in freezer — a customer’s forgotten order," she said. "I grabbed it, rushed home, and placed it under running water to thaw it."
Time was no longer on Martha's side, but she was able to remove the stuffing from the burnt bird, put it inside the new turkey and cooked it to perfection. The glorious meal finally emerged for her hungry guests at 7 p.m. — a full six hours late.
So if you have a turkey problem this year, or if you cringe thinking about a cooking fiasco from holidays past, just remember: It happens to (literally) the best of us!
Find out some interesting facts about Thanksgiving that you never knew before: