In a digital age, many of us spend more time on our smartphones than we would ideally like to. But if you find yourself positively glued to your iPhone at all times, here's a simple hack to potentially help you cut back on your phone fixation: try making your iPhone grayscale.
Take some time to examine your iPhone home screen closely. If it's anything like mine, there's probably a lot of colors on it. Colors from the background photo, apps, and of course, those ultra-enticing notifications can all create a very busy overall image that we have to admit makes it pretty difficult to look away from.
Studies have shown that the color red in particular attracts attention in emotional context. (Hmm, wonder why we get so excited when we see red notifications on our iMessages and Facebook apps?) If you feel like taking a break from all the color might be something good for you, good news: It's super easy to make your iPhone grayscale. While it hasn't been proven that making your iPhone grayscale will make you use it less, it certainly makes it less busy and less interesting to look at. We think it's worth a shot, so here's how to do it:
1) Go to iPhone Settings and click General.
2) When you're in General, click on Accessibility.
3) When you're in Accessibility, click on Display Accommodations.
4) When you're in Display Accommodations, click on Color Filters.
5) Drag the Color Filters button.
6) Select the Grayscale option if it's not already selected.
7) And voila! We don't know about you, but we don't feel like looking at this screen for too long.
Would you try this hack? If you do, let us know how it works for you!
h/t Make Use Of