Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder, but if your double chin makes you self-conscious, there are a few things you can do to get rid of it. There is the option to have your double chin surgically removed; however, as in most cases, a simple regimen of small diet tweaks and easy-to-follow exercises can be a quick fix for getting rid of a double chin without surgery.
Double chin causes
A double chin, also called submental fat, occurs when a layer of fat forms under the chin. While it may be a symptom of weight gain, that's not always the case. In some instances, a double chin could be the result of genetics or sagging skin from aging.
Check out Sharon Osbourne's stunning weight loss transformation and watch her double chin disappear.
Double chin exercises
Just like there are exercises to get rid of belly fat, there are also exercises to get rid of a double chin.
1. Focus on your jaw: While tilting your head back, jut out only your bottom jaw until you feel tension. Hold the pose for 10 seconds before relaxing your jaw and retuning your head to its normal position.
2. Use a ball: Place a 9-inch or 10-inch ball under your chin and push your chin down on the ball 25 times.
3. Pucker up: Just as you did in the first exercise, tilt your head back and purse your lips as if you were getting ready to plant a kiss on your husband.
4. Stretch that tongue: Stretch your tongue out of your mouth as far as you can, and then lift it towards your nose. Hold this position for 10 seconds.
5. Elongate your neck: Again, tilt your head back while pressing your tongue as hard as you can against the top of your mouth. Hold for 5-10 seconds and repeat.
6. Focus on your jaw 2.0: Follow in the instructions for the first exercise, but instead of facing forward try the exercise with your head to the left and to the right.
Foods to get rid of a double chin
If your double chin is because you've recently gained weight, a surefire way to say bye bye to your extra rolls is by tweaking your diet. The likely culprit of your weight gain is foods that are high in saturated fats, trans fatty acids, sugars, and cholesterol.
Chances are you've heard about the horrors of saturated fats, but these bad little guys will raise your cholesterol and clog up your arteries, which can lead to further health issues and leave you vulnerable to heart disease and stroke. Sadly, saturated fats are found in a lot of delicious ingredients like the fatty cuts of meat, butter, and cheese. That said, opting for leaner proteins like chicken or turkey and limiting your dairy intake can minimize the ill effects of saturated fats.
Trans fats should be avoided entirely, which pretty much stinks because they're found in tasty treats like french fries, chips, and cookies. While you can certainly curb a sweet tooth with a bit of fruit, let's not pretend that a nice juicy pear (fat-burning article) is as satisfying as a delectable nibble of a Nutella mug cake. There's nothing wrong with a treat every now and then, but remember—everything in moderation.
Some other quick swaps you can make to your diet that will erase your double chin like magic: Choosing foods that are high in monounsaturated fats (which can actually speed up slimming), which include olive oil, fish, and nuts; avoiding refined carbs, like white bread; and eating lots of fruits and veggies.
Double chin surgery
If losing weight hasn't helped or your doctor recommends it, liposuction may be the right decision for getting rid of a double chin.
Lipolysis, or lyposculpture, involves erasing fat by using liposuction or the heat from a laser. Because using lipolysis is not as invasive a procedure as something like a rhinoplasty or a facelift, in most cases you will only need a local anesthetic. Be forewarned that liposuction only deals with erasing fat and does not cure sagging skin which may be a result of skin losing it's elasticity.
Mesotherapy is a procedure where a doctor would inject a fat-dissolving agent into the mesodermal layer beneath the skin. Kybella, or deoxycholic acid, is an injectable fat-reducing drug and an example of mesotherapy. However, it might take a doctor at least 20 deoxycholic acid injections to achieve the desired results. Ouch!
While Kybella may produce faster, more painless results than liposuction, patients can only have six treatments in total, and they must wait at least a month between each, says Healthline.