You may want to avoid non-dairy creamer for a while. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) just announced a recall on 53 nutritional and beverage products, including Oatly and Barista Style Almond Milk.
The company Lyons Magnus voluntarily recalled many of its products due to potential contamination from an organism called Cronobacter sakazakii.
What is Cronobacter sakazakii?
In addition, infants are — biologically speaking — the most at risk. Those less than two months old are most likely to develop meningitis after an initial infection, as are those born prematurely and/or with weakened immune systems.
Adults who are also at high risk include people age 65 and older and people with weakened immune systems. (Illnesses or conditions that cause weakened immune systems include HIV, organ transplants, and cancer.)
The incubation period for Cronobacter sakazakii can be as little as six to eight hours. These are symptoms to watch for in adults:
- Diarrhea or loose stool
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Open wounds, cuts, or scrapes that have difficulty healing or become infected
These are symptoms in infants:
- Fever and poor feeding, excessive crying, or low energy
- In some babies, seizures may occur
Contact a medical provider immediately if your infant is exhibiting these symptoms.
Which brands got recalled?
According to the FDA, the below products were recalled.
Lyons Ready Care Products:
- Thickened Dairy Drink, in both a thick/honey consistency and mildly thick/nectar consistency
- 2.0 High Calorie High Protein Nutritional Drink, in the flavors butter pecan, chocolate, and vanilla
Lyons Barista Style Products:
- Almond Non-Dairy Beverage
- Coconut Non-Dairy Beverage
- Oat Non-Dairy Beverage
Pirq Vegan Protein Shakes:
- Flavors decadent chocolate, caramel coffee, golden vanilla, and strawberry
Glucerna Original Shakes (for diabetes, sold only at Costco, BJ’s Wholesale Club, and Sam’s Club):
- Flavors chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla
Aloha Plant Based Protein Drinks:
- Flavors chocolate sea salt, coconut, vanilla, and iced coffee
Intelligentsia Coffee Drinks:
- Drinks in the flavors cold coffee and oat latte
Kate Farms Nutrition Shakes:
- Pediatric Standard in the flavor vanilla
- Oat-Milk Barista Edition
Premier Protein Shakes:
- Flavors chocolate, vanilla, and café latte
MRE Protein Shakes:
- Flavors cookies & cream, milk chocolate, salted caramel, and vanilla
Stumptown Cold Brew Drinks with Oatly Oat Milk:
- Flavors original, horchata, chocolate, cream and sugar chocolate, and cream and sugar original
Imperial Nutritional Beverages:
- Med Plus 2.0 in the flavor vanilla
- Thickened Dairy Drink in moderately thick/honey consistency
- Thickened Dairy Drink in mildly thick/nectar consistency
- Med Plus NSA 1.7 Nutritional Drink in the flavor vanilla
Note that the products listed may only be affected if they have certain dates and lot codes stamped on them. Check the full list on the FDA website and compare dates and lot codes to those indicated on your products. (The lot code is typically printed next to the “best before,” “sell by,” or expiration date. It may say “LOT” at the beginning of the code, though sometimes the number is simply listed above the date with no introduction.)
Can I get a refund for the recall?
If you bought Oatly drinks or other Lyons Magnus products that were recalled, you are entitled to a refund.
To get your refund, confirm that the product name, date, and lot code on your product matches one on the FDA list. Then, take the product to your local grocery store. Request a refund at the customer service counter.
You can also call the Lyons Magnus Recall Support hotline at (800) 627-0557 and request that the company send you a refund or coupon by mail.