We know, mornings are busy and generally rushed — so your routine desparately needs the ultimate do-ahead weekday breakfast that is both quick and healthy at the same time. Luckily, we've got just the thing for you with our wholesome and portable Fresh Fruit and Chia Overnight Oats. Soaking rolled oats overnight not only saves you time, but it also makes the fiber-rich superfood more easily digestible. As fiber is such a crucial nutrient to incorporate in the morning, we added an extra boost of it to this recipe with barley flakes and chia seeds, nature's digestive cleanser. Topped with fresh fruit and Greek yogurt, you're also getting the added benefits of antioxidants and a significant helping of protein to help you detoxify and energize first thing in the morning. Between the perfect texture of oats and seeds pre-soaked in nut milk, the sweet taste of fresh fruit, and the decadence of maple caramel on top, you'll be ready to take on your day. To make our overnight oats, follow the recipe below.
- 20 oz. almond milk or macadamia milk
- 4 oz. rolled oats
- 2 oz. barley flakes
- 1 1/2 oz. chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Greek yogurt, to serve
- Cherries, sliced apricots, and plums, bee pollen, and cacao nibs to serve
- 2 oz. maple syrup
- Juice of 1⁄2 orange
- Combine nut milk, oats, barley, chia seeds, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Stir in maple syrup, vanilla paste, and cinnamon, then cover and refrigerate to soak (overnight or up to 3 days).
- For maple caramel, boil maple syrup in a saucepan until darkened and thickened (2 to 3 minutes), then add orange juice (be careful, hot caramel will spit) and a pinch of salt and swirl to combine.
- To serve, divide oats among bowls, top with yogurt and fruit, drizzle with maple caramel to taste, and scatter with bee pollen and cacao.
Note: Bee pollen and cacao nibs are available at health food stores and select supermarkets.
This recipe was originally written by Emma Knowles. For more, check out our sister site, Grazia.