Finally, a puff pastry recipe you don’t have to feel guilty about! Although puff pastries may usually be off-limits, this savory treat is just the right size to curb your craving in a healthier way. Made with fresh heirloom tomatoes and Chèvre d’Argental, this quick recipe is perfect for a weekend brunch with the girls or an all-out family get-togther. Want to make even more? Turn this treat into an hors d’oeuvre by cutting the dough into 16 small squares instead.
- One 9×9″ sheet of store-bought frozen puff pastry dough
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Herbes de Provence
- 1 medium garlic clove, crushed or finely grated
- 2 small heirloom tomatoes (about 3/4 pound), cut widthwise into 1/3″ slices
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 oz. Chèvre d’Argental, sliced
1. Remove the dough from its paper packaging and let thaw at room temperature until it is easy to unfold, about 40 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a small saucepan, combine the oil, Herbes de Provence, and garlic. Heat over a low flame until fragrant, swirling the pan occasionally, about three minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, beat the egg with about a Tbsp. of water.
5. Unfold the dough, cut it into four squares, and place them onto the prepared baking sheet. Top each square with two to three tomato slices (leaving a slight border), drizzle with a bit of the herbed oil, and season with salt and pepper. Brush the edges with the egg mixture.
6. Bake until the edges are lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and top each square with a few crumbles of cheese. Continue baking until the cheese is melted and the edges are golden brown, about three minutes. May be served hot or warm.
Feeling bloated? Check out the video below for eight foods that’ll banish bloating for good:
More From FIRST
BOGO Never Felt So Good
Whether you're looking to sleep better, have less anxiety, get pain relief or simply unwind the mind, these award-winning CBD Gummies from Sky Wellness do just the trick! Available in a variety of flavors, don't miss this special BOGO offer. Learn more at SkyWellness.com.