Cutting Carbs Is Easy With This Paleo-Friendly Cauliflower Fried ‘Rice’
Cutting out carbs just got a whole lot easier with this modern take on the Chinese classic. Blitzing up cauliflower in place of rice is not only carb-conscious, but it’s also a great way to get in some extra servings of veggies for the day. Cauliflower is full of fiber and antioxidants, and though it’s low in carbs, it’s just as filling and flavorsome when done right. Follow the recipe below to make our Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice.
- 1 1/2 heads cauliflower, separated into florets
- 4 slices bacon or ham, diced
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 7 oz. small raw prawns, shelled and deveined
- 3.5 oz. shiitake or oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, finely grated
- 3.5 oz. okra, sliced
- 3.5 oz. Brussels sprouts
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 2 Tbsp. tamari
- 1 handful of bean sprouts
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 Tbsp. chopped mint leaves
- Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until it resembles rice.
- In a large frying pan or wok, fry the bacon over high heat until crispy. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in the pan over high heat, add the onion and garlic, and cook for a few minutes, or until softened. Stir in the prawns, mushrooms, and ginger, and cook for another few minutes.
- Add the okra and Brussels sprouts and cook for one minute. Add the cauliflower and cook for two to three minutes, or until tender. Add bacon, egg, tamari, sprouts, spring onion, herbs, and some salt and pepper, and cook for two minutes, or until everything is heated through and well combined.
- Serve with a splash of fish sauce and kimchi (Korean fermented cabbage), if desired.
This recipe originally appeared on our sister site, Food to Love.
More From FIRST
This Cauliflower Spinach Mac-and-Cheese Is Comfort on a Plate
11 Creative Ways to Use Corn Before Summer Ends
These Sweetly Sticky Papaya Chicken Wings Are Summer on a Plate