Homemade Honey-Nut Puffed Rice Cereal Turns Your Breakfast Into Bloat-Blocking ‘Golden Milk’
Honey nut cereals are arguably one of the tastiest ways to start your day. This homemade version goes an extra mile by adding turmeric to turn your milk into bloat-blocking “Golden Milk.” A study published by the Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute in 2017 lists several benefits of turmeric, like soothing arthritis and anxiety, and anti-inflammatory elements that help ease common stomach issues (including bloating). Plus, the combination of brown sugar and cinnamon is always a crowd-pleaser!
If you’re not a fan of puffed rice, you can substitute other puffed grains, such as millet. Either way, you’ll be glad you started your day off with a big bowl of this delicious breakfast.
- 4 1/2 cups puffed rice
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. (32g) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. raw sesame seeds
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large heatproof bowl, combine the puffed rice, almonds, turmeric, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small pot, stirring occasionally, heat the brown sugar, butter, and honey, until they have been simmering in slow, steady large bubbles for 1-2 minutes (reaching roughly 250 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Remove from heat and whisk in the baking soda. Immediately pour the mixture over the dry ingredients. Stir well with a wood spoon, making sure to mix in all the spices and seeds that have fallen to the bottom of the bowl, and then spread the mixture on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through. Allow to cool completely at room temperature. Break the pieces and place into an airtight container to store.
- Serve with your milk of choice — it will become “Golden Milk” when mixed with the cereal.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jessica Koslow, made for the National Honey Board.
More From FIRST
Recharge After Working Out With This Protein-Packed Honey Chocolate Recovery Smoothie
7 Benefits of Mung Beans, The Weight-Loss Superfood That Could Be the Key to a Happy Gut
Camu Camu Is the Cherry-Like Superfood That Can Boost Your Smoothie’s Nutritional Power
ARNICARE FOR PAIN AND BRUISES!
Powered by Arnica montana, Arnicare® is designed to treat muscle pain, swelling, and discoloration from bruising. The unscented gel cools on contact and absorbs quickly into your skin, leaving no sticky or greasy residue, and provides you with the relief you seek. Learn more at Arnicare.com.