This salad can be made ahead and put together at the last minute. If you’re short on time, omit grilling the eggplant and buy some from a good delicatessen.
- 2 eggplant, thickly sliced crossways
- 3.3 oz. grapeseed oil
- 7 oz. small green lentils
- 4.2 oz. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 golden shallots, finely chopped
- Seeds from half a pomegranate
- ½ cup (loosely packed) each mint and coriander, coarsely chopped
- 8 oz. thick natural yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 oz. extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat a barbecue or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush eggplant with oil, then grill, turning occasionally, until deep golden-brown and tender (3 to 5 minutes). Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Cook lentils in a large saucepan of unsalted boiling water until tender (18 to 24 minutes), then drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine olive oil, vinegar, and shallots in a bowl. Add warm lentils and season to taste, then set aside. Just before serving, toss through eggplant, pomegranate, and herbs.
- For sesame yogurt, whisk yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, and garlic in a bowl. Then stir in olive oil and season to taste.
- Arrange salad on a platter and serve with sesame yogurt sauce to the sides
This post was written by Lisa Featherby. For more, check out our sister site Gourmet Traveller.