Ditch Refined Sugars With These Sweet and Salty Chocolate Coconut and Sea Salt Bars
Make your own delicious coconut and dark chocolate treats at home with this refined-sugar-free snack that will perk your afternoons up in just the right way. You can even sprinkle these chocolate-coated bars with desiccated coconut before refrigerating, if you like. And what’s more, they store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks, so you have a quick and easy homemade snack that you can grab on the go. To make our Sweet and Salty Chocolate Coconut and Sea Salt Bars, follow the recipe below.
- 7 oz. shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cacao butter, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup cacao powder
- Grease a 4-by-8 inch four-cup loaf pan and line with plastic wrap, allowing excess to hang over the sides. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Process shredded coconut, coconut oil, coconut cream, salt, and rice malt syrup until just combined. Firmly and evenly press mixture into loaf pan. Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, make cacao coating. Combine coconut oil, cacao butter, and maple syrup in a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water. Stir until melted and combined. Whisk in cacao powder until well combined.
- Remove coconut filling from freezer. Cut into eight bars and cut each bar in half horizontally. Using two forks, dip coconut bars in cacao coating until well coated. Place on lined tray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set. Trim off any excess chocolate.
This recipe originally appeared on our sister site, Women’s Weekly Food.
More From FIRST
3 Ways to Kick Your Cauliflower Cheese Pizza Up to Delicious New Levels
Superfood Pumpkin and Chia Seed Brittle Is the Sweet and Savory Snack You Need for All-Day Energy
This Flaky Low-Fat Apple Tarte Tatin Is the Guilt-Free Pastry You Deserve