When’s the best time to eat olives? Well, we’d say olive the time! If you’re looking for a way to fit olives into your antipasto plans as quickly and easily as possible, try this Christmas-inspired mixed olive appetizer tree. Made with cream cheese and a variety of black and green olives (including fresh Cerignola olives), this good-for-you snack is bursting with flavor. Add a few pieces of salami, a couple slices of freshly baked bread, and some roasted red peppers, and you’ve got yourself a meal!
(Photo Credit: First for Women)
- 1 Styrofoam cone (about 6″ high)
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 tsp. herbes de Provence
- 1⁄4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut in half
- 8 green Cerignola olives, pitted
- 3 cups assorted black and green olives, pitted
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
1. Wrap the cone with plastic wrap. In a bowl, combine cream cheese, herbes de Provence, and garlic salt until smooth. Spread 1 Tbsp. of the cream cheese mixture onto the bottom of the cone; place on serving platter, pressing gently to secure. Cover the cone with the remaining cream cheese mixture. Chill for one hour.
2. Using a small star-shaped cookie cutter, cut stars from yellow pepper. Use a toothpick to secure one star on top of the cone.
3. Grab a few more toothpicks and arrange Cerignola olives around base of the cone. Cover the cone with the remaining olives and stars. Insert rosemary sprigs into the spaces between the olives.’
Tip: If really want to show off your crafty culinary skills, switch out the yellow pepper for cheddar cheese. Better yet, make things easier on yourself and purchase a few pre-cut cheddar shapes. Don’t worry, we won’t tell!
Feeling bloated? Check out the video below for eight foods that’ll banish bloating for good: