What started off as a relaxing vacation quickly became every parent’s worst nightmare when Lucinda Leathes’ precious little boy almost died.
Her son Sam was wading in a hot tub when he was suddenly pulled underwater. And for a few terrifying moments, he appeared to be stuck down there.
“I could see his blue and white shorts under the bubbles and put my arm down to help him up,” Lucinda said. “It was like pulling on a lump of concrete.”
The horrified mother called for help from Sam’s dad and great uncle, originally thinking the little boy’s foot was stuck. But when two grown men couldn’t pull him out of the water, she realized that the problem was the drain.
“I thought that was it–he would be dead,” Lucinda said.
But then, the quick-thinking mom hit the unmarked off switch from the drain, and the men were finally able to pull him out.
Though the little boy suffered stomach injuries that will forever leave him scarred, he recovered in minutes after being rescued and is reportedly doing “okay,” considering what happened to him.
Now, the mother is using her experience to warn other parents about the danger of hot tubs to very young children like her son.
“I was right next to Sam, touching him, I thought he was safe. I would never have ever thought of the danger of drains,” she said. “We were lucky but I do not want anything like this happening to anyone else.”