Denise Austin Reveals How She Outsmarted the Hormonal Glitch That Packs on Fat After 40
In FIRST for Women‘s biggest issue ever, fitness guru Denise Austin shares how keeping her body guessing has helped her outsmart the hormonal glitch that packs on fat after 40.
Nearly 40 years after bursting onto the fitness scene as the cheerfully cartwheeling cohost on The Jack LaLanne Show, Austin is as slim, radiant, and perky as she was in her 20s. But the 61-year-old fitness pro admits that hasn’t always been the case. “While I’ve dedicated myself to teaching people how to get fit, I’m not immune to weight fluctuations,” she shares with FIRST. “Like most women at this age, my once-reliable body started betraying me and fat began to accumulate around my belly and thighs.”
“My normal tricks just weren’t working anymore,” recalls Austin. “It was frustrating, and I realized I had to try something new to combat those extra pounds.”
Determined to find a solution, Austin spoke to hundreds of doctors and dieters — and hit upon a strategy that ends middle-age spread. “The secret is constantly changing up your workout so you don’t get bored,” she reveals to FIRST. “Mixing up your routine will jump-start your metabolism.”
“I’m not an exercise fanatic — with a career and kids, I can’t be,” promises fitness expert Austin. “In fact, I do only 30 minutes of official exercise a day.”
To get the benefits, Austin recommends switching between the cardio, toning, and stretching workouts detailed here throughout the week:
- Cardio Walking: “Cardio walking is a great way to get in shape, burn calories and lose weight,” Denise tells FIRST. She suggests varying your pace between higher-intensity bursts of speed walking and slow, steady strolling.
- Body Weight Moves: “A major key to revving up your metabolism is muscle mass, and toning exercises are the best way to get the benefits,” says Denise. “I mix it up constantly, adding some barre, Pilates, light weights and even a little kettlebell-inspired workout to my regimen.”
- Stretching: “Stretching has immediate benefits. It releases tension and increases muscle elasticity, allowing you to move more easily,” says Denise. “Plus, when you stretch, you release the kinks in your muscles, improve your posture and straighten your spine, which can make you look up to 10 pounds thinner instantly.”
Read Denise Austin’s story in the new issue of First for Women, on newsstands now!
Highlights from First for Women’s Memorial Day Issue with an additional 16 pages of content include:
- Suddenly Slimmer: Summer outfits that erase 10 pounds instantly
- Grill up a Good Time: Summer kickoff cookbook
- The Keto Miracle: Lose up to 17 pounds a week eating ‘fat bombs’
- Taya Kyle, Widow of “American Sniper” Chris Kyle, opens up exclusively about her journey to overcome heartbreak five and a half years after her husband’s tragic death
- Natural Cures for GI upset, insomnia, achy joints, sluggish liver, varicose veins, and heartburn
More From FIRST
Why Your Skincare Routine Stops Working Once You Hit Perimenopause
How to Practice ‘Mindful Eating’ for Weight Loss
Everything You Need to Know About the Mediterranean Diet to Lose Weight, Gain Energy, and Live Longer
ARNICARE FOR PAIN AND BRUISES!
Powered by Arnica montana, Arnicare® is designed to treat muscle pain, swelling, and discoloration from bruising. The unscented gel cools on contact and absorbs quickly into your skin, leaving no sticky or greasy residue, and provides you with the relief you seek. Learn more at Arnicare.com.