Lentils are possibly one of the most underrated superfoods in the culinary world today. Brimming with beneficial fiber, lentils have been found to lower blood sugar as well as promote an overall healthy digestive system. Also packed with protein, lentils keep you fuller longer and are a great low-calorie plant-based option to incorporate into your diet. Now, we've found a way to combine the nutrient dense legume with an all-time favorite — crispy Brussels sprouts. These cruciferous mini-cabbages pack a major nutritional punch as well, as they are rich in vitamin K, which is essential to bone and blood health. Brussels sprouts are also significantly high in vitamin C, helping to strengthen the immune system. Together, these two make the perfect nutritious side dish to any main course. To make our Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Lentils, follow the recipe below.
- 5 oz. small green lentils
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 8 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1½ cups mint (loosely packed)
- 7 oz. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 oz. Vincotto (or a sweet, dense aged balsamic vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp. hot mustard
- Combine lentils in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover them generously. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender (15-20 minutes), then drain and set aside.
- For Vincotto dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl to combine, season to taste, and set aside.
- Preheat oil in a large deep-sided saucepan or deep-fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Deep-fry Brussels sprouts in batches, stirring occasionally, until crisp and dark golden (4-5 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add lentils, mint, and Vincotto dressing. Toss to coat and serve hot.
This recipe originally appeared on our sister site, Gourmet Traveller.