Food to Love
Sink your teeth into this deliciously wholesome, lighter cheese pizza with cauliflower crust. Loaded with tasty fresh ingredients and mouthwatering flavor, you can make this cheese pizza in three different variations, so it fits the bill for any palate! If you can't find boccocini cheese, you can substitute fresh mozzarella and it will still be delightfully creamy.
For the Pizza Sauce
- 16 oz. canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn
For the Pizza
- 1 medium cauliflower, trimmed and broken into florets
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 8 oz large boccocini cheese, drained and sliced thinly
- To make the pizza sauce, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, or until thickened slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two large oven trays with baking paper and mark 10-inch circles on paper, turn paper over.
- Pulse cauliflower in two batches until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Transfer cauliflower to a large bowl. Stir in chickpea flour, parmesan, and eggs. Season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Shape cauliflower mixture into marked rounds on trays; smooth the surface. Bake on bottom shelf for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Spread pizza sauce over bases. Top with bocconcini. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and cheese has melted.
Pizza Topping Options:
- Prosciutto and argula: Bake pizza as above. Top hot pizza with 1/2 cup thinly sliced prosciutto and 1/2 cup arugula.
- Mushrooms: Prepare pizza up to step six. Top the bocconcini with 1/2 cup thinly sliced button or Swiss brown mushrooms. Drizzle with one tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with two finely chopped cloves garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Bake as above.
- Diavola: Prepare pizza up to step six. Top the bocconcini with 1/2 cup thinly sliced hot salami and 1/2 cup sliced and drained roasted bell pepper. Bake as above, then scatter with basil leaves before serving.