You may recall a time when printing a simple piece of paper meant heading into the office or asking someone with access to one for a little help in getting the job done. Nowadays, there's no need, as printers have evolved to become so compact and user-friendly, they're practically a home office essential. Just like a sturdy desk or a good supportive work chair, these handy little devices can serve to make your life far easier — if you know how to use them. Read on for the best home printers around for which setup and operation will be a total breeze.
What is the best home printer?
The technical jargon surrounding printers can seem a little daunting to those that are less than familiar with the lingo. You've likely heard terms such as laserjet, inkjet, and all-in-one being tossed around with regard to home printers, for instance, but figuring out what it all means? That can be a different story. We’ve created a brief guide that explains everything you'll need to know before purchasing the best home printers — plus advice on which one to choose for your specific needs.
- Laser printer: Laser printers and LaserJet printers produce high-quality, high-resolution documents at very high speeds and use toner rather than printer ink — something that can prove to be more economical in the long run. These are typically used in office settings due to their high-volume capacity.
- Inkjet printer: Inkjets, meanwhile, work by spraying ink onto the paper. These printers have a small footprint and require very little warm-up time. Inkjets are best for printing smaller documents and photographs, but may need a little bit of “drying” time after printing.
- Document printer: If you regularly print a lot of forms, you'll likely want to opt for a document printer that can hold a greater capacity of both paper and ink and performs its duties quickly.
- Photo printer: With a photo printer, you can print pictures from the comfort of your own home in whatever size you choose straight from your computer, phone, or tablet.
- Multi-purpose printer: This all-in-one printer typically boasts many additional features, such as a scanner, photocopier, fax, and photo options.
When making your final home printer selection, it's wise to consider the main reason you’ll be needing it. Do you want to print copious of documents or just the odd piece of paper here and there? Would you make use of a scanner or photocopier feature? Would you like a printer primarily for photographs? Most of the latest printers feature an impressive array of capabilities, including double-sided printing, wireless and Bluetooth abilities that will allow you to print from any device.
You'll also want to consider its ease-of-use: That fancy device won't do you a whole lot of good if it's too confusing to figure out.
Whatever it is you need it for, there's a comprehensive printer out there for you, and we know where to find it. We searched though a vast array of the top machines currently available for the most straightforward, and user-friendly printers on the market. Keep scrolling for FIRST's picks for the best printers.
We write about products we think our readers will like. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the supplier.