Questions? Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer is home to some of the best fashion of the year. But one unfortunate side effect of those fun sundresses and stylish shorts is thigh chafing. Also known as chub rub, thigh chafing is never fun. If you’ve found yourself in throes of an uncomfortable thigh chafing moment, we’ve got everything your need to know about healing thigh chafing.
What is thigh chafing?
Before we get to the solution, let’s break down the science behind thigh chafing for anyone lucky enough to be unfamiliar with the experience. Thigh chafing is the result of consistent skin-to-skin contact (better known as rubbing) between your thighs, which causes friction and can lead to a burning, bumpy rash. Warm weather can exacerbate this issue because it causes sweating, which leaves behind salt crystals when it evaporates. That grit can make thigh chafing even more painful.
How to Heal Thigh Chafing
While there are products that can help prevent and treat thigh chafing, if you’re already past the point of no return, there’s some general information to know when it comes to healing inner thigh chafing. Here are five easy steps to treat and heal thigh chafing.
1. Clean the area. As with any skin irritation, the first step is to clean the area. However, as thigh chafing can lead to tiny, open sores, you’ll want to opt for a mild cleanser, such as Vanicream’s Sensitive Skin Cleansing Bar ($8.37, Amazon). Always keep in mind that cleansing is the most important step. It will wash away any sweat or dirt trapped in the skin, leading to proper healing. Be sure you also pat the skin dry to prevent further irritation.
2. Disinfect and protect. As mentioned, this heat rash typically leads to tiny sores which should be treated with an antiseptic to prevent any kind of infection. While any kind of disinfecting ointment will do, I prefer a natural one, like emuaidMAX First Aid Ointment ($58, Amazon). Long-lasting and potent, a small amount of this tea-tree oil rich ointment goes a long way and heals the skin in record time.
3. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Follow up this care with a soothing moisturizer to lock in hydration and aid in the healing process. One of my favorite body moisturizers is Weleda’s Skin Food Body Butter ($18.01, Amazon). Loaded with the same soothing ingredients as their iconic moisturizer (like calendula, chamomile, and lavender), this light body lotion has a soft, whipped texture for a luxurious hydrating experience that won’t irritate healing skin.
4. Cover it up. Whether it be with band-aids or loose clothing, keeping the area covered for the time being is the best way to go. Not only will it lessen the pain, it will prevent the possibility of further chafing and give skin the time it needs to heal on its own.
5. Pick up a pair of anti-chafing shorts. Looking for an alternative solution to thigh chafing? One of the best anti-chafing products for women, anti-chafing shorts ($20, Bare Necessities) are a must have during the thigh chafing healing process.