How to Look Younger: 5 Simple Beauty Tricks for Your Eyes
Wondering how to look younger without spending a lot of money? Eye makeup can help! It’s a fact: Our eyes can give away our true age. In fact, studies have shown that when strangers are asked to judge how old a person is, the eye area is one of the first things they look at. Knock off the years and give your eyes a youthful lift with our simple makeup tricks.
1. Banish shadows. You may have noticed that the shadows around your eyes have become darker as you’ve got older. This is because the skin around our eyes gets thinner, making shadows look worse. Under-eye concealer is a must- have for younger looking eyes. Look for a liquid, light-reflecting concealer such as M&S Autograph Illuminating Touch Under Eye Concealer, $14.75. Dab on, then set with a matte powder to stop it sinking into crow’s feet,” says make-up artist Adam Burrell.
2. Add sparkle. After menopause, your eyes can be drier, which may mean they’re prone to looking red and tired as well as feeling uncomfortable. Try Artelac Rebalance drops, $9.99, from pharmacies, to give long-lasting hydration and instantly make your eyes look fresher. To banish redness from the rims of your eyes, lightly trace a flesh-colored eyeliner pencil onto the waterline (the inner rim of your lower eyelid)–this has the added bonus of making your eyes look bigger.
MUST-SEE: Look Thinner and 10 Years Younger Each Day with This Trick
3. Lift your lids. Sagging lids can be very aging and make you look tired, but you can cheat your way to an eyelid lift with some clever make-up tricks. All you need is an eyeshadow palette such as Bourjois Smoky Stories in Upside Brown, $12.98.
“Use the darkest shade and a thin brush to draw a thin line along the root of your top lashes,” says Adam. “Then use the second darkest to create a smokiness around your lashes by blending the dark shadow upwards into the lightest brown color that you should apply close to your brows. Always curl your lashes (this works wonders) before applying mascara.” Try Superdrug Eyelash Curler, $2.50 and GOSH No Limit Lash Mascara, $11.75.
4. Soften lines. Crow’s feet are the first sign of aging, and once you’re in your 50s they start to deepen. Smooth on an eye cream designed to soften the appearance of lines, such as Vichy Idealia Eyes, $36/15ml, which is packed with a brightening complex and blurring agents. “Avoid using make-up on or near your wrinkles, especially anything shimmery,” Adam says. “But focusing on your eyes draws attention away from anything around them.”
RELATED: Apply Eyeliner in a Flash AND Curl Your Lashes at the Same Time with This Genius, Time-Saving Trick
5. Get specs appeal. “You need to think slightly differently about eye makeup if you wear glasses,” says Adam. “Opt for a lightly defined eye – enough so your eyes aren’t lost in the lenses but not so much that there’s a battle between the glasses and the makeup.”
Adam Burrell is makeup artist to the stars and advisor to the WINK panel for Bausch + Lomb.
More from FIRST
Woman Sneezes While Curling Eyelashes, Shares After Photos That Have Everyone Gasping
12 Eyebrow Makeovers That TOTALLY Changed These Women’s Faces