Looking for a snack that satisfies that chocolate craving without spiking your blood sugar? This delicious treat contains no added sugars without compromising on sweetness. Not only will this snack pick you up out of that afternoon slump, but it also boasts a variety of superfoods that pack a big nutritional punch. And what’s more, it’s gluten- and dairy-free too! Follow the recipe below to make our Superfood Chocolate Bark.
- 1/4 cup cacao butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup organic maple syrup, coconut nectar, or raw agave
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. goji berries
- 1/4 cup organic coconut chips or dried organic coconut
- 2 Tbsp. currants
- 1 Tbsp. dried orange peel
- 1/3 cup macadamias, lightly crushed
- Melt the cacao butter and coconut oil together in a bowl until the liquid is lukewarm.
- Add the cacao powder, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt to the oils, and mix until they form a smooth, fluid chocolate sauce.
- Fold in the goji berries, coconut, currants, orange peel, and macadamias, reserving a handful to sprinkle on top.
- Line a container or rectangular tin with baking paper, and pour in the mixture until it’s a half an inch deep. Sprinkle remaining fruit and nuts on top to retain gorgeous bright colors. Place in the fridge or freezer to set for 20 minutes until hardened.
- Remove from container and break it up up with your hands into rough pieces for traditional, rustic-looking bark, or cut into triangles (as pictured), if you prefer. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
The best way to melt cacao butter or coconut oil is in a bowl over a pot of hot water. The pot should be on the bench, not on the stovetop, or your oil won’t be raw any more.
This post originally appeared on our sister site, Food to Love.