Not everyone likes sushi, but these Honey Almond Banana “Sushi” lookalikes will be hard to pass up. Perfect for an appetizer, light breakfast, or dessert, this quick-and-easy recipe is sure to impress your guests — and even your kids, who will have a blast helping you “roll” up this special dish. With sweet honey, crunchy almonds, and no chopsticks required, this is one sushi meal we’ll make again and again.
1/4 cup almond butter
2 tsp. banana flour
1/4 cup honey roasted or roasted almonds, chopped
1 whole wheat tortilla
1 Tbsp. honey, to drizzle
Pinch of salt
1. In a food processor, grind the honey-roasted almonds until fine like gravel. Set aside in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the 1/4 cup almond butter with 2 tsp. banana flour and a pinch of salt. Make sure the almond butter mixture isn’t too wet to spread easily onto the tortilla. It should be the consistency of Play-Doh. If the tortilla is too wet, add a little more banana flour.
3. Lay the whole wheat tortilla on a sheet of parchment paper.
4. Spread an even layer of the almond butter mixture onto the tortilla, making sure to cover the entire tortilla.
5. Flip the covered tortilla over, so that the almond butter side is facing down on the parchment.
6. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp. of honey onto the uncoated side of the tortilla and lay a whole banana across the tortilla on top of the honey.
7. Use parchment paper to roll the tortilla up around the banana until you’ve made a complete roll.
8. With almond butter side up, coat the entire roll with the finely chopped almonds.
9. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and then cut into sushi-style rolls with a sharp knife.
This recipe was originally published by the National Honey Board.