Remember those childhood summers when you’d keep cool by devouring stick after stick of sweet Creamsicle pops? Well, here’s a cake that captures that feeling without any of the sticky, sugary guilt. Made by combining a few ingredients with Mom’s Place Gluten-Free Angel Food Cake Mix (don’t worry, we won’t tell it wasn’t completely from scratch!), this citrusy take on the classic dessert will have you and your sweet-tooth accomplices strolling down memory lane in no time. And in addition to being gluten-free, this cream-drenched delight is also free of eggs, peanuts, soy, and tree nuts!
- Mom’s Place Gluten-Free Angel Food Cake Mix
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- Juice of 1 medium/large orange
- 1/4 tsp. lemon extract
1. Make Angel Food Cake as directed on mix. Let cool.
2. Combine all other ingredients with hand mixer. Use only enough orange juice to bring to the consistency of whipped cream, or you can make it thinner, like a glaze.
3. Spread or pour the whipped topping (or glaze) over cooled cake and enjoy!
Tip: Boxed cake mixes get a bad rap, but there are several ways to enhance their taste. Adding a few ingredients (like an extra egg), while substituting others (replacing water with dairy, for example), can make a world of difference. And if all else fails, just raid your cabinets. Adding spices, nuts, extracts, or even bananas will elevate any boring ol’ boxed cake mix to the next level (depending on the recipe, of course).
This recipe was originally published by Mom’s Place Gluten-Free.
Speaking of nostalgia, check out the video below for five more retro recipes from the ’80s: