Craving a crunchy and savory snack to serve guests at your next dinner party? Then we’ve got just the thing for you. Corn fritters are a classic treat that you can whip up quickly, and these small fried cakes make the perfect snack or appetizer. Seasoned to perfection and fried just to your liking, our fritters are infused with pure corn flavor, and are served up with a jalapeño and cilantro salsa to add just the right amount of kick. To make our Corn Fritters with Jalapeño and Cilantro Salsa, follow the recipe below.
- 5 oz. tempura batter flour, sieved
- 1 egg
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 3 corn cobs, kernels removed
Jalapeño and Cilantro Salsa
- 6 oz. olive oil
- 1 bunch cilantro finely chopped
- 3 green jalapeños, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, white part only, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
Makes 30 fritters.
- Place flour in a bowl and season generously to taste. Add egg and five ounces of ice water, whisk until smooth and set aside.
- For jalapeño and cilantro salsa, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- Preheat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Add corn to batter, stir to combine, then carefully slide tablespoons of batter into oil (be careful as hot oil may spit). Deep-fry in batches, turning occasionally, until puffed and golden (two to three minutes). Drain on absorbent paper and serve warm with salsa.
Note: Tempura batter/flour is available from Asian grocers and select delicatessens.
This recipe originally appeared on our sister site, Gourmet Traveler.