Coconut milk is a tasty way to add heart-healthy ingredients to your everyday meals. According to results from a 2013 study, coconut milk helped to raise “good” cholesterol levels while reducing the “bad” levels. The recipe below combines the milk with some energizing honey for a perfect, nutrient-rich way to start your day — although we wouldn’t blame you if you decided to whip up this twist on a traditional breakfast dish even when it’s lunch or dinner time!
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 4 Tbsp. honey
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 4 dates, seeds removed, cut into small pieces
- 3 tsp. toasted coconut, shredded
- In a small bowl, mix the curry powder and 2 Tbsp. of the honey together and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring coconut milk, water, milk, remaining 2 Tbsp. of honey, and salt to a gentle boil over medium-low heat.
- Stir in oats. Simmer on low heat and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes. Oats should be soft and porridge should look cohesive and silky.
- Eating it hot: scoop into 6 bowls and evenly distribute the cut dates, toasted coconut, and a drizzle of curried honey on top.
- Eating it cold: scoop into a heat-proof container and place into the fridge. If you remove it from the fridge and it’s firm, add more oat milk, or milk of choice, and stir to loosen. Scoop into bowls and evenly distribute the cut dates, toasted coconut, and a drizzle of curried honey on top.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jessica Koslow, made for the National Honey Board.