Need a savory, veggie-heavy side for your weeknight dinner, or even a green alternative to your everyday breakfast? Then you need to try our Brussels Sprouts with Curly Kale, Bacon, and Chestnuts recipe. This easy side dish combines cruciferous, fiber-rich Brussels sprouts with crisp, salty bacon. Matched perfectly with roasted chestnuts, this recipe offers an earthy twist on a classic favorite. For a more breakfast-friendly dish, you can even swap out the chestnuts for poached eggs instead! To make our Brussels Sprouts with Curly Kale, Bacon, and Chestnuts, follow the recipe below.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 rindless bacon slices, halved widthwise
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 10 Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved lengthwise
- 3 cups purple curly kale, trimmed, coarsely torn
- 3 oz. chicken stock
- 5 tsp. butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 oz. peeled chestnuts
- For the roasted chestnuts, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat butter and oil in a large, ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chestnuts and stir frequently until the nuts start to brown (two to three minutes). Transfer the pan to the oven and roast until chestnuts are golden on the base (12 to 18 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half of the oil and the bacon in batches, and turn occasionally until crisp and golden (three to five minutes). Transfer bacon to a warmed plate, set aside and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining oil, onion, and garlic to pan. Cook until the onion is tender (five to ten minutes). Add Brussels sprouts and cook for one to two minutes. Then add kale and cook, tossing occasionally until wilted (one to two minutes). Add chicken stock and stir occasionally until sprouts are tender (two to four minutes), then add chestnuts. Toss everything to combine and serve hot with bacon.
This recipe originally appeared on our sister site, Gourmet Traveller.