Before you scrunch your nose in disgust, hear us out. While avocado might not scream “dessert,” it’s the secret ingredient that makes this decadent Avocado Chocolate Mousse recipe creamy and full of body. Plus, it’s quick, easy, and dairy-free!
Avocado is a superfood, which means this dessert serves not one, but two purposes — filling your tummy with* a delicious chocolaty flavor and providing your body with a variety of health benefits. Avocado is so good for you that it’s been proven to reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke in people with diabetes. In fact, the HAAS Avocado Board recently joined the American Diabetes Association in an effort to stop diabetes by spreading awareness about the role good fats (aka avocados) play in our daily lives. Now we’re not saying eating a ton of avocados is going to cure diabetes, but adding a few avocados to your diet will help you eat less and feel more satisfied — which sounds like a win to us!
- 3.5 oz. dark chocolate (70 percent cocoa), finely chopped
- 2 avocados, coarsely chopped
- 2 oz. coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder or Dutch-processed cocao
- 1 oz. espresso
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- Raspberries and coarsely chopped roasted hazelnuts, to serve
1. Melt chocolate in a heat resistant bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (one to two minutes), then cool briefly.
2. Process avocado, sugar, cocoa, espresso, and vanilla seeds in a food processor until combined (one minute). Add melted chocolate and process until light and fluffy. Divide among small serving bowls, place in the freezer to chill for eight to 10 minutes, top with raspberries and hazelnuts, and serve.
This recipe originally appeared on our sister site, Gourmet Traveller.