Pals at the school gates have smugly "almost finished their Christmas shopping," Dancing With the Stars is back on the TV, and we are wearing our coats again — which means autumn is here!
The temptation to dry your washing on the radiator is more apparent than ever — especially with it raining every five minutes! However, despite drying your clothes indoors saving you a small fortune, it turns out that it is probably damaging your and your family’s health. Eek!
The Asthma Society of Ireland has issued a serious warning urging the public to think twice about hanging their wet clothes on the radiator as it increases moisture in the room by 30 percent, meaning mold is more likely to thrive. As well as mold being unpleasant, it can cause havoc to those who have breathing difficulties, asthma, and/or skin problems. Why does everything good have to be either a. fattening, b. illegal, c. bad for you, or d. expensive? Sigh.
Pheena Kenny, of the Asthma Society of Ireland, said: “Moist environments encourage the growth of mold which can release ‘seeds’ called spores."
“The spores can cause allergic reactions in some people. Mould and fungal spores are often invisible to the naked eye.”
She continues to tell RTE, “If you aren’t sensitive to mold, you may never even experience a reaction. But for some people with asthma who are sensitive to mold spores, it can act as a trigger, causing asthma symptoms to get worse.”
To overcome this, we suggest drying your clothes outside or in the tumble dryer. Alternatively, keeping rooms well ventilated — either by open windows or an extractor fan, can help.
This post was written by Aimee Jakes. For more, check out our sister site Closer.
The Secret to Drying Your Clothes Quickly
Remove Wrinkles In Your Shirt With This Surprising Item
How to Fold Fitted Sheets the Martha Stewart-Approved Way