“After hours of overtime at work, my household chores piled up and I was left spending an entire Saturday doing laundry in the basement. In a huff, I folded towels and ironed shirts as I stared longingly at the sunshine coming through the tiny window. All I could think was what a beautiful day it was outside and how I’d rather be with my grandson at the park.
“Just then, the doorbell rang, making me groan in frustration. I was tempted to ignore it, but the bell rang again, then a third time as I begrudgingly went upstairs. ‘I’m coming!’ I called, and opened the door to find the porch empty. Confused and a tad annoyed, I walked out to the sidewalk and looked around, but saw no one.
“Suddenly, I heard a deafening BOOM! and my entire house shook. In a sheer panic, I ran to Mrs. Winchell’s house next door and called 9-1-1, then watched with my heart in my throat as firemen extinguished the blaze. As it turned out, there was a gas leak and the flame from the water heater ignited the blast.
“‘What made you come outside just before the explosion?’ Mrs. Winchell asked in alarm.
“I caught my breath and thought about the doorbell that mysteriously called me upstairs to safety, and I felt a rush of gratitude wash over me.
“‘Let me ask you something,’ I replied in awe. ‘Do you believe in guardian angels?’” – Vera Winters, 57, Irvine, CA
Your life just got exponentially better and more stylish now you've signed up for our newsletter. Fabulousness awaits!