Chyka Keebaugh's Australian home is testament to her eye for style and amazing ability to create beautiful and inviting spaces. It's this natural talent and passion that led her to take on the role of homemaking and styling expert on Good Morning Australia for four years. She has also starred in three series of The Real Housewives of Melbourne. Now, she has released her first book, Chyka Home ($30, Amazon), a seasonal guide to creating a beautiful home all year round.
Chyka Home is the perfect guide to creating a stylish and happy home, with tips on flower arrangements and craft projects, to organizing, cleaning, and decorating suggestions — she's really covered everything! Here are a few of her quick cleaning hacks to get you on your way to a beautiful home.
Quick Cleaning Hacks
Get your cleaning jobs done quickly with these time-saving tricks.
- Stainless steel: To remove smear marks, wipe the steel with olive oil and a dab of pure white vinegar. Buff to shine.
- Cobwebs: To deter cobweb growth 1 cup of cooking oil with the juice of three lemons in a spray bottle and spray on problem areas.
- Glassware: Mix 1 Tbsp. of baking soda with 1 tsp. of water to create a thick paste and apply to glassware with a cloth. Wash as normal in hot water, then polish.
- Kettle: Put half a lemon in a kettle full of water and bring it to the boil. Repeat three times. Allow the kettle to cool, then dispose of the lemon and water.
- Mirrors: Apply lemon soda to a clean cloth, wipe over the mirror and polish with a soft flannel.
- Whiten white clothes: In a bucket, add two sliced lemons to 4 liters (16 cups) of hot water and soak clothing for 10 minutes.
- Wicker baskets: Hose down outside and leave in the sun to dry out and they'll look as good as new!
This is an edited extract from Chyka Home by Chyka Keebaugh. (Photo Credit: Homes to Love)
Tackle just about any stain with these home remedies. Apply directly to problem areas before washing as normal.
- Grass: Dab a dash of diluted white vinegar onto the stain before washing.
- Red wine: Saturate the stain with club soda and blot it with a dry towel until the stain fades, then wash as normal.
- Grease: Make a paste of baking soda and water, paint onto the stain and watch the baking soda draw the stain out.
- Blood: Soak the stained item in cold water then rub with a bar of soap, lathering gently before washing. Ensure the stain is removed before drying the article to avoid heat-setting the stain.
- Oil: Rub the stain with white chalk and let it absorb before brushing the residue away. Repeat if necessary, and wash the item as normal.
- Coffee: Sprinkle baking soda on a cold wet cloth and gently massage it into the stain. Wash as normal.
- Deodorant: Crush 3 to 4 aspirin tablets and combine with water to make a paste. Apply the paste to the stain, and let it sit for a few hours before washing as normal.
- Sweat: Rub half a cut lemon directly onto the sweat stains and wash as normal.
- Lipstick: Blot with a baby wipe and wash as normal.
- Ink: Soak the stained item overnight in a bowl filled with two parts milk and one part vinegar. Hang to dry, then wash as normal.
- Makeup: Use shaving cream to cut through the oil component of both liquid and cream makeup. Blot with a clean cloth to lift the stain, then wash as normal.
This post was written by Homes to Love editors. For more, check out our sister site, Homes to Love.