Princess Diana's sons — Prince William and Prince Harry — have grown increasingly vocal about their mother in the lead-up to the 20th anniversary of her passing. That said, not all members of the royal family are following suit.
According to reports from U.K.'s Express, Charles is taking a vow of silence on Aug. 31. He and his wife, Camilla Parker Bowles, will be laying low at Balmoral in Scotland. Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip are reportedly staying with them as well.
Friends of Charles told the British news outlet that the 68-year-old wanted to "avoid being caught up in a media storm." But given Charles' public affair with Camilla (Princess Diana once said there were three people in her marriage), it's hard to see how hiding from the spotlight would do much to lessen the criticism aimed at him and Camilla that has been ramping up since we neared this anniversary. In most people's eyes, the damage has already been done, and there is nothing Charles can do to escape it.
“They have to live with the negative publicity that comes whenever Diana is mentioned. I’m sure they probably don’t like it, but they accept that it’s there,” Ken Wharfe, Diana's former bodyguard told Now to Love.
In a recent poll by the British news organization Press Association, many Brits think Charles has been bad for the royal family.
"A staggering 27 percent of Brits now think Charles has negatively impacted the royal family. That number was just 15 percent back in 2013. Conversely, 36 percent of people said the Prince of Wales has been beneficial to the monarchy — 60 percent thought so nearly four years ago."
Earlier this year, an online survey by Opinium Research noted that more than half of those surveyed (52 percent) wanted William to leapfrog over his father and take the crown. However, recent reports indicate that the Queen will abdicate the throne for Charles if she is still alive at 95 years old.
h/t Now to Love