We love our pets, and like any good pet parent, you want to treat your fur baby to the best things in life. From buying the expensive food they love to the new toys they need to be entertained on a rainy day, there's no limit to your love.
But did you know you could be unwittingly poisoning them with every meal? According to experts at the Center for Veterinary Medicine at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), you should be washing your pet's food bowl after every meal—yes, even the dry mix—with hot, soapy water.
When pets eat directly out of the bowl, they can transfer microbes and bacteria to the bowl from their mouths. The bacteria can then grow and spread each time you add more food into the bowl, contaminating it.
“What kind of bacteria grows in the bowls depends on factors like the environment, exposure, and oral hygiene of the animal, but possible examples include Staphylococcus aureus, Enterobacteria and, less frequently, salmonella, and Pseudomonas,” said the FDA.
These diseases and microbes can even be potentially dangerous to humans, including the elderly and even young children, so keep all bowls out of reach of tiny hands.
Water bowls should also be washed every couple of days, and you can even put your pet’s food bowls into the dishwasher with your other dishes. Ensure all food scrapes are cleared off (as this is where bacteria lives) and use bleach (in a ratio of one tablespoon of bleach for every 1 gallon of water) to sanitize the surfaces even further.
By keeping your pet’s food and water bowl clean and free of bacteria, you create a safer space for your whole family. While we were definitely unaware that our cleaning habits could be harming those around us, we're glad we now know how to reverse this negative cycle!
This post was written by Amber Elias. For more, check out our sister site Now To Love.