Parents Scott and Jessica Walker were out to dinner with their newborn baby Molly, when suddenly she became very upset. Though her parents tried to calm her, nothing worked. They noticed that she seemed to be overheating, so they removed her socks. And they saw something truly shocking on her foot.
The baby had wrapped a piece of hair around one of her toes so tightly that it cut her skin. Doctors call this a toe-tourniquet syndrome, and say this condition is common and could become serious if not immediately addressed. Kids have developed infections and have needed surgery as a result. Some children have even lost fingers or toes.
Luckily in Molly's case, her mother was able to remove the hair with tweezers and a magnifying glass and she has now healed. And now that these parents' debacle is over, her father is raising awareness of this condition that some parents might not have heard of.
"The doctor told me, for future reference, to always check the toes if the baby is inconsolable," he wrote in a now-viral Facebook post.
You can read the post in its entirety below.
Had a small scare this afternoon with Ms. Molly. What happened was new to me, but apparently not totally uncommon, so I...Posted by Scott Walker on Thursday, January 21, 2016
Had a small scare this afternoon with Ms. Molly. What happened was new to me, but apparently not totally uncommon, so I...
Your life just got exponentially better and more stylish now you've signed up for our newsletter. Fabulousness awaits!