Dogs love to chew stuff, and Lexie, a 6-month-old American Staffordshire terrier who lives in Sydney, Australia, was no exception. According to her owners, Lexie loved to snatch shoes and socks and drag them under the sofa to munch on later. But this time the pup bit off way more than she could chew--and it nearly killed her.
PLUS: 10 Week Old Puppy Was Stolen From Her Home, But When Someone Claimed They Found It, The Real Shock Set in
At first, Lexie's owners, who wish to remain nameless, thought the pup just had a bad stomach ache. But when she didn't stop throwing up, they took her to their vet. The veterinarian ordered an x-ray--and when she saw the results, she thought the nurses were playing a joke on her.
But it was no joke--Lexie had swallowed an 8-inch serrated steak knife!
The vet immediately sent Lexie to Animal Referral Hospital in Sydney. The vets there had never seen anything like it--and wondered how they could remove the knife without damaging the dog's stomach tissue.
MUST SEE: Evan Antin Is the Internet's Hunkiest Veterinarian. See 15 Swoon-Worthy Photos of Him with Animals
Using a camera and forceps, the team of vets managed to pull out the knife after 45 minutes. They kept Lexie in intensive care for three days to make sure she was okay--and then sent the pup home, for 10 more days of strict bed rest.
Lexie, though, may have other plans. Her owners told the Daily Telegraph that the pup had already tried to snatch away their cell phone as soon as they all arrived home.
Watch the amazing story in the Animal Referral Hospital's video.
via FB Newswire
Your life just got exponentially better and more stylish now you've signed up for our newsletter. Fabulousness awaits!