In news set to cause you to back/run away from every birthday cake in sight, scientists have discovered that that slice of raspberry cheesecake you ate to celebrate your aunt’s birthday is probably coated in germs.
After conducting countless studies around food safety, researchers at Clemson University have confirmed that blowing out candles on a birthday cake can actually increase the amount of bacteria on the frosting tenfold.
“Some people blow on the cake and they don’t transfer any bacteria, whereas you have one or two people who really for whatever reason...transfer a lot of bacteria,” explained Professor of Food Safety at Clemson University Paul Dawson to the The Atlantic.
MUST-SEE: The Easy Way to Upgrade Any Store-Bought Cake
However, before you vow against eating even the most delicious kids’ birthday cakes, Professor Dawson says that despite this alarming find, the likelihood of you falling ill from birthday-cake bacteria is slim.
“In reality, if you did this 100,000 times, then the chance of getting sick would probably be very minimal,” he told The Atlantic, suggesting that perhaps you should only avoid eating the cake if said-candle-blower is clearly unwell.
What do you make of this new research: Will it stop you from going for that second slice of celebratory birthday sweets?
This post was written by Ellie McDonald. For more, check out our sister site Now To Love.
Cut Cake This Way to Keep It Fresher Longer
This Little Girl Had the FUNNIEST Theme for Her Birthday Party
Just Try Not to Crack Up Watching This Persistent Toddler Struggling with Blowing Out His Birthday Candle
Your life just got exponentially better and more stylish now you've signed up for our newsletter. Fabulousness awaits!